BBC Magazines Limited is committed to protecting your privacy. We will keep the personal information you entrust to us safe and secure. We will not share your personal information with other people or businesses without your prior consent. We are registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 and will comply with the Act and related legislation.
How we collect and use information
We collect personal information on our customers in various ways, including: magazine subscriptions; orders for products by telephone, post, the internet or e-mail; readers’ offers; competition entry forms; or feedback, research or request forms.
From time to time, we may use your personal details for these main purposes:-
1. to meet product orders or requests for services or information; to process payments; and to keep our records up-to-date;
2. to tell you by telephone, post or e-mail about special offers and current or new products that you may be interested in;
3. to enable other people or businesses to carry out our work on our behalf;
4. where you have given us your permission, to pass your information to carefully selected organisations to allow them to tell you about their special offers or products and services that may be of interest to you; and
5. to manage our competitions and contact the winners.
We may group together statistical information to understand more about our customers in order to improve our range of products and services and help manage our relationships with advertisers. When this is done, we only provide anonymous information and do not disclose personal details about any individuals.
To fulfil some of the above processes we may have to pass your information to other parts of the BBC group of companies which occasionally may be outside the European Union. They will, of course, treat your information with the same respect that we do.
How we apply our policy
In order to put our policy into practice, we follow seven guidelines:-
1. We will ensure our systems are secure to protect your personal information from misuse;
2. We will respect your privacy in the way that we contact you, whether by post, telephone, e-mail or text message;
3. We will not hold your personal information for longer than is necessary;
4. We will not sell, trade or rent your personal information to other people or businesses unless we have your consent. With your consent, we will only share your information with carefully chosen, reputable and trustworthy third parties.
5. We will comply promptly with any instructions from you to update your information or requests from you to see the information that we hold on you;
6. We will comply with lawful requests to disclose personal information to certain authorities (e.g. the police);
7. We may monitor and record any telephone calls to ensure we follow your instructions correctly and to improve our service.
If you are under 18, you must have your parent or guardian's permission before you provide personal information to us. We do not wish to collect any personal information without this permission.
We do not wish to collect any personal information from children under 13. Where we find that a person is under 13, then we will immediately tell them not to provide any personal information to us.
Information gathered on our websites
Where advertisements appear on this website, we use a third-party advertising company to serve those ads. That company may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visit to this website in order to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. In the course of serving advertisements to this site, our third-party advertiser may place or recognize a unique “cookie” on your browser. In the absence of advertisements on this website your computer may still be issued with a cookie.
A cookie is a text file which identifies your computer to our server. Cookies do not in themselves identify the individual user, just the computer used. We will not collect and store personal information using the cookie, although we may use a cookie to monitor your visit and ensure that you are presented with appropriate information. If you wish, you can prevent acceptance of cookies by your internet browser, although this will impair your use of our site. Further information on cookies is available online at: www.aboutcookies.org.
Links to other websites
Accuracy and access to your personal information
You can always change the personal information that we hold and it is free to do so. If you wish to change any details then please write to us at the address below; or if you are an internet customer through your online account.
You can request a copy of the personal information that we may hold by writing to us at the address below. Under the Data Protection Act, we may ask you to pay a £10 administration charge for this request).
Changes to this statement
We may change this policy to keep up to date with changes in legislation and best practice.
Further information about data protection is available online at the Information Commissioner’s website: www.ico.gov.uk.
If you wish to contact us about this policy, please write to:-
the Company Secretary, BBC Magazines Limited, Woodlands,
80 Wood Lane, London, W12 0TT
BBC Magazines Limited
Registered in England, no. 6189487
Registered office: Woodlands, 80 Wood Lane, London, W12 0TT