IMMEDIATE MEDIA CO’S MARKET-LEADING TITLES DELIVER STRONG ABC RESULTS
4 months ago
Immediate Media Co, the special interest content and platform company, has posted a combined ABC-audited print and digital circulation of 2,393,272, up 31.1% period-on-period and up 0.3% year-on-year, for titles reporting July to December 2019.
• Immediate’s ABC-audited print circulation is 2,330,251, an increase of 29% period-on-period and 1% year-on-year.
• Immediate’s ABC-audited digital circulation recorded a total circulation of 63,021, up 291% period-on-period
• With 957k subscribers, Immediate remains the leading magazine publishing company for subscriptions. *
Tom Bureau, Immediate CEO, says: “These results show the continued strength and value of our special interest brands on the newsstand, as Immediate maintains its market-leading position in TV premium, gardening, food and Youth and Children’s. In addition to strong performances in print, our titles continue to extend their reach through record-breaking digital growth for Radio Times, BBC Gardeners’ World magazine, Olive and BBC Good Food. Immediate continues to develop new ways to attract and engage audiences with new podcasts, digital subscriptions, digital products and live events launched across our brand portfolio in the last twelve months.”
Highlights for the ABC period July-December 2019:
• Radio Times remains the UK’s biggest-selling quality magazine, with a weekly combined ABC of 529,263, up 1.9% period-on-period. The magazine generated £48.02m in Retail Sales Value in 2019, retaining its position as the most valuable brand on the UK newsstand. Radio Times is also the UK’s biggest weekly subscription brand, with 242,415 subscribers. The brand continues to reach new audiences, with a 35% year-on-year growth in visitors to RadioTimes.com, including a record-breaking 18.2 million monthly unique visitors in July 2019. Radio Times total brand reach is 3.6m, the highest of any weekly magazine brand.
• Immediate remains the UK’s leading Food publisher, with a strong performance across its portfolio, including BBC Good Food, Easy Cook, Home Cooking Series, and olive, outperforming the market in terms of both volume and value.
• In the first full year of Immediate ownership, BBC Good Food retains its position as the nation’s number one food media brand, reporting a combined ABC of 181,251, up 15.3% period-on-period. The brand’s portfolio of multi-platform products continues to serve a highly valuable, growing audience: bbcgoodfood.com had a record-breaking January, securing a staggering 104 million global page views, an increase of 17% year-on-year, and 27.9 million unique global users. In 2019 it also launched a new podcast series with Tom Kerridge, which received over 50,000 listens in its first eight weeks.
• olive delivered its best ABC performance for two years, up an impressive +16.3% period-on-period and up 3.5% year-on-year to 29,369, outperforming the rest of the food market. The brand continues to increase its reach across all platforms, with olivemagazine.com their best ever month in December 2019, with a record breaking 7.1 million page-views, up 99% YoY.
• Immediate’s market-leading gardening portfolio, including BBC Gardeners’ World magazine and Gardens Illustrated, grew in volume and value in the last 12 months. Gardens Illustrated was up 1.4% on the year, posting a combined ABC of 38,438.
• BBC Gardeners’ World magazine maintained its number one market position with a combined ABC of 170,295, up 0.1% on the year and remains the brand with the biggest monthly readership in the general interest magazine market*. gardenersworld.com also continued to grow reach, increasing its audience by 20% in 2019.
• Immediate is also the number one publisher in the Children’s market, reflecting the strength of its titles and breadth of portfolio, with a combined ABC circulation of 871,900 up 16% year-on-year and 26% period-on-period.
– Girl Talk posting an ABC of 36,379 up 11.2% period-on-period and up 1.05% year-on-year
– Pokémon up 19.7% year-on-year to 42,348
* Includes print and digital editions of Immediate Media Co brands, Lonely Planet and BBC Top Gear Magazine, published under contract for BBC Studios, plus titles not audited in this period.