IMMEDIATE MEDIA DELIVERS STRONG ABC RESULTS
4 months ago
14 February 2019: Immediate Media Co, the special interest content and platform company, has posted a combined print and digital circulation of 2,244,751 up 27.8% period-on-period, for titles reporting July to December 2018.
• Immediate’s ABC-audited print circulation is 2,167,231 – up 25.6% period-on-period and
down 3.2% year-on-year
• Immediate’s ABC-audited digital circulation also continues to rise, reporting a total circulation of 77,520, up 143.2% period-on-period and up 0.4% year-on-year.
• With a total audience of 1.076 million subscribers, the company remains the leading magazine publishing company for subscriptions. *
Tom Bureau, CEO of Immediate Media, says: “In a tough market, our specialist interest brands continue to perform well, generating over £122m in Retail Sales Value on the newsstand in 2018. In addition to strong performances in print, our digital portfolio continues to break digital records. The Radio Times and BBCGoodFood brands have cemented their positions as having the highest total brand reach of all weekly and monthly magazines brands in the UK**. Whilst BBC History magazine and our Youth and Children portfolio have performed phenomenally well growing market share and reach.
Elsewhere we continue to transform our business model to offer our highly engaged and growing audience content, products and services focused on their special interest passions, through print, digital, ecommerce, and now with our recent acquisition of Upper Street, in live events.”
Highlights for the ABC period July-December 2018:
• Radio Times remains the UK’s biggest-selling quality magazine, with a weekly ABC of 580,709, up 0.6% period-on-period. It retains its position as the most valuable magazine title on the UK newsstand, generating £50.4m in RSV in 2018, a 32.7% share of the total TV listings market RSV at newsstand.
Radio Times is also the UK’s biggest weekly subscription brand, with 253,504 weekly subscribers. RadioTimes.com continues to attract new readers to the brand, with a record-breaking 15.6 million unique visitors in January 2019, up 34% year-on-year.
• BBC Good Food, retains its position as the nation’s number one food media brand, reporting a combined ABC of 192,692, up 13.7% period-on-period.
Following Immediate’s acquisition of BBC Good Food in September 2018, the brand goes from strength-to-strength across multiple platforms, bbcgoodfood.com had a record-breaking December, securing a staggering 86 million global page views, an increase of 29% year-on-year, and over 25.5 million unique global users.
Immediate’s Food Portfolio, including BBC Good Food, Easy Cook and Home Cooking Series, alongside olive, continues to dominate the UK’s Food Publishing market, accounting for 75.3% share of the core market, outperforming the market in terms of both volume and value.
• BBC History Magazine remains Britain’s biggest-selling history brand delivering a combined print and digital ABC of 94,628, up 0.05% year-on-year.
Elsewhere, the brand’s portfolio of multi-platform products continues to serve a highly valuable, growing audience, including the launch of The Library, its digital subscribers zone offering a wealth of additional content, and a hugely successful podcast which recently celebrated its 500th episode and receives over 1million downloads a month.
• BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine delivered a combined ABC of 170,174 – cementing its position as the gardening market leader, accounting for 46.1% of the entire volume of sales in the market. The brand has also recorded an 8.4% growth in RSV in 2018 to £3.7million.
• Immediate continues to be the number one publisher in the Children’s market, reflecting the strength of its titles and breadth of portfolio, with a combined ABC circulation of 751,791 up 4.65% year-on-year and 9.78% period-on-period. Highlights include:
– CBeebies posting an ABC of 56,201 up 11.4% period-on-period and up 4.8% year-on-year.
– Toybox up 15.0% period-on-period and up 11.8% year-on-year to 32,341
– Andy’s Amazing Adventures recording a 3.2% increase period-on-period and a 5.5% increase year-on-year to 41,720.
* Includes print and digital editions of Immediate Media Co brands, Lonely Planet and BBC Top Gear Magazine, published under contract for BBC Studios, plus titles not audited in this period.
** PAMCo December 2018